Saturday, December 5, 2009

How do you pronounce the word Caribbean? 'Ca-rib-b-an' or 'Care-a-bee-an'?

Just curious. People have different ways of prnouncing it. I say it like the first oneHow do you pronounce the word Caribbean? 'Ca-rib-b-an' or 'Care-a-bee-an'?
I pronounce it ';Carrie-beeyan';How do you pronounce the word Caribbean? 'Ca-rib-b-an' or 'Care-a-bee-an'?
';There are two acceptable pronunciations of Caribbean: the British pronunciation puts the stress on the -be-, while in the US and the Caribbean itself the stress is on the -rib-.';
The second one.
ca-RIBI-an vs CA-ra-BEE-an may be a function of where you live, or it could be a generational thing. When I was going through school, the second pronounciation was the only way to say it. Somewhere along the way, the other pronounciation cropped up and now I use both with no particular preference for either.
I pronounce it the second way, being from England, that's how it's pronounced there. The correct way however would be the first way. It takes it's name from its once native people, known as the caribs.





:P
I say both, which ever pops out my mouth first... I don't think it really matters, like some say New 'Or-Lens' others New


'Or-Leans'. Just depends on where your from, due to your accent I guess...
both are okay. i use both.
its pronounced like this......Ka-ree-bee-yen
the movie is 'Care-a-bee-an'





but like vacationing in the 'Ca-rib-b-an'
Tomatos TOMAHtos


potatos potahtos!
You can say it either way. I think most people say ';Cuh-rib-be-en'; but the movies have convinced us to say it otherwise. It comes from the words 'Carib' and 'bean' combined, so with that it mind it really should be the second way... But, all in all it really doesn't matter!
both are acceptable--in fact there's a song about it. if i find it i'll post the link later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
tanning products